Kentucky 4-H/FFA Market Animal Validation Program
All 4-H/FFA market steers, market heifers, market lambs, market hogs, and market goats that will participate in market livestock shows in Kentucky (i.e., County Fairs, District Shows, Junior Livestock Expos, Kentucky State Fair, etc.) must be tagged with Radio Frequency Identification (R.F.I.D.) tags. The R.F.I.D. tag number will be used as the Kentucky Uniform Identification Program (K.U.I.P.) number. In addition, to be eligible for participation in the Kentucky State Fair, market steers, market lambs, market hogs, and market goats must have samples collected for DNA testing. The validation guidelines and required forms for validation can be found below.
New for 2024
Youth Livestock Validating Process has changed for 2024. Please use the links below and forms to participate in 4-H/FFA youth livestock projects. If you need assistance or clarifications, please reach out to your local 4-H Youth Development Agent or FFA advisor.
- All youth who wish to exhibit market livestock and/or breeding swine at either KDA District Shows or the Kentucky State Fair must complete the Livestock Validation Process. This process requires in-person tagging at one of the official validation sites. A list of sites is attached for your use.
- New validation forms have been developed and are attached to this email. These forms must be completed in advance and brought to the validation site.
- Breeding animal nomination forms are no longer required for any species. Please note that all swine must be validated and receive a KUIP tag.
- All exhibitors are required to have a National Premises ID before coming to the Validation Site. If the location where the animal will be housed has a National Premise ID, that number will be used. If the location where the animal will be housed does not have a National Premise ID, please follow the steps in the attached document to secure one prior to travel to the Validation Site. No animals will be tagged without a National Premise ID.
Things To Remember
- Kentucky State Fair Youth Livestock Show guidelines, dates, and other information will be available on the Kentucky State Fair website in the coming weeks.
- To show livestock as a 4-H member, a student must complete 6 Hours of education before attending Validation Sites, competing in livestock contests or shows outside of the county. Questions about showing as a 4-H member must be directed to the local 4-H Youth Development Agent.
- In order to show livestock as an FFA member, an exhibitor must be a dues paying FFA member of a local chapter. FFA members are eligible to retain membership and show through the 4th National FFA Convention after graduation from high school, provided that they are a member during their senior year of high school and that they pay dues in each following year. Questions about showing as an FFA member must be directed to the local FFA Advisor.